Design Your Own Cowl with me on Craftsy!

Guess what posted this morning?  My newest class with Craftsy, Design Your Own Cowl.
Cowl’s are the perfect shape to play with when starting to design. In my class, you'll use an interactive design worksheet, any of twelve step-by-step templates and lots of valuable techniques to bring your own cowl concepts to life. If you want to read more in depth about the class, check out the blog post I wrote last week!

There are also 3 cowl patterns included in the class for those of you who LOVE cowls, but do not want to design them! Lapso, Ojo, and Red are designed to teach you about the anatomy and versatility of cowls... and how to use the templates in class.
Ojo Cowl
Ojo Cowl begins with a provisional cast on, is worked flat and then joined into the round with a twist to create a "fauxbius", a super simple large eyelet stitch with a latticed border on each edge to keep things interesting.  I used Cascade Eco wool on big needles... so fun to "blow up" a lace stitch and create a bulkier cowl! 

Lapso Cowl

Lapso Cowl is a true mobius, worked in the round from the center out.  I played with a reversible slipped stitch pattern... a great way to let two colors party together ! I knit two version of Lapso, one with Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sport, so you could see it shine in a fun hand-dye, and another more subtle version in Blue Sky Alpaca's drapey sportweight alpaca!

RED

RED is a more diminutive cowl worked in the round with a modified feather and fan stitch at the bottom border.  A garter stitch strip is worked every 7 rounds as the cowl is knit.  A one skein, sport weight cowl, this design highlights a special yarn and flies off the needles.

So, which is your favorite?  I've been wearing Ojo alot, but ended up knitting two Lapso's as I might be addicted to Cat Bordhi's mobius cast on!  I've posted all the cowl's on Ravelry if you want to see more photos.  All 3 patterns are only available in my Craftsy class until April 2015 when I will release them individually!

Use this link to get the class for 25% off! Feel free to share it with your friends, the more of us creating cowls together the better!

I so look forward to sharing the design you all create in this class!  In fact, I taught a version of this class live last month at Vogue Knitting Live in Seattle... and one of my students already has her new cowl design almost done.... I can't wait to see what comes off your needles!

I want to wrap this up by sending a HUGE boatload of gratitude to Kate Atherley and the team at Craftsy.  Kate spent hours and hours with me helping to design the functionality of the templates, and then make sure my math worked!  I'm not sure I can even communicate the amount of energy and caffeinated brain power she and I put into the course materials in this class.  Thankyou Kate.... I still owe you coffee!

Comments