A Poof in the House!

I'm back from a wonderful weekend away...  I tweeted and instagramed the whole time so if you want to read/see more about it go check out my feeds!  Since I worked all weekend I gave myself a bit of time to play when I got home and decided to finish up my POOF!
A Poof in the House!
Two years ago when I was in Colorado I saw Anne's Poof, and knew that I needed a ottoman/foot rest/squatting spot/bed for cat for our house too!  So when I was at Webs later that spring I bought 12 skeins of Berroco Sundae (now discontinued) to knit one up.  They didn't have enough of the green I wanted, so I mixed together two shades.  The poof is knit on Size 17 needles with three strands held together.  To say that it was heavy would be an understatement!  I ended up having to use a football hold on my needles to take the weight off my wrists... very very different than knitting lace, let me tell you!
A Poof in the House!
I cast on 42 sts and knit until I ran out of yarn.  To stuff it I used an old twin down comforter that I "filled" with clean old towels and then rolled that up into a doughnut.  I had read that if you didn't use something firm for the center that it would collapse once it was sat on.  Below I use my needles to "hold" the seam together while I stretched the knit fabric around my filling.
This old lady seems pretty happy I made her a new bed : )!
A Poof in the House!

Comments

  1. Love this idea. My husband needs one for his chair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking my house needs one of these too! Thanks for sharing how you finished it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! The big trick was to sew it up with a coordinating cotton yarn... you have to pull tight, and wool would break!

      Delete
  3. This has been on my to-do list forever. Love it! I've been avoiding it becasue of the huge needles/weight, but the result is so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya... this languished in my WIP bin for a while when I didn't love the knitting... but once I got the football hold down, it was better! I even knit the first half of the stitches continental and second half English to distribute the weight, which worked really well!

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you made it! Fabulous result!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you made it and I couldn't stop thinking about it! It's perfect for the dining room... just what we needed!

      Delete
  5. I LOVE this!! This is perfect for what we need in our small living room ... especially when my daughters' friends come over. They could use one in each of their rooms too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks fantastic! Love how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment